The Canadian School Boards Association strongly supports of the public school system and the value of local school boards/districts across Canada. We uphold excellence in school board governance and are committed to providing tools, leadership, professional development and communication opportunities to trustees and commissioners across Canada as well as advocating for them on shared, national issues.
Strong school board leadership plays a meaningful and vital role in our school boards across the country, and has a direct impact on student achievement and school success for all Canadian students. When it comes to improvements in student achievement research shows that how school boards govern really matters.
Canadian trustees and commissioners are responsible for:
- Using democratic principles to govern school boards
- Allocating resources and make budgetary decisions, based on local school board culture and accountability to the community
- Advocating at the grassroots level for their schools and communities
- Providing leadership and policy implementation that impact student teaching and learning
- Making evidence-based decisions
- Setting a vision, high standards and culture for their school boards and schools
- Providing an important school/community connection
- Promoting the values and beliefs of their school boards and communities
- Strongly advocating for student achievement
- Understanding and debating programs and practices that lead to student achievement
- Understanding current issues in student learning in their boards
- Demonstrating a 100% commitment to student success